1. Need to use require.js to load a bunch of scripts compiled via assetic into a PHP file, annoyed by auto-append of .js, don’t want to set up irritating routing? Add a ? to the URL, require.js will add a .js to the query string, loading the file correctly.

  2. Spent ~3 hrs with the office arduino+ethernet shield and my old favourite pyo and I’ve got a light/flex controlled synthesiser over OSC. I dread to think how many weeks it would have taken me to implement this on a PIC.

  3. Kyle Weems: I dislike having to deal with kludgy browsers too. But I also know my clients aren't interested in turning away many of their customers.

    cssquirrel Zepto is nice for browser extensions, where the browser will always be modern and capable

  4. This evening’s project: catching up on a bit of dev. :

    • remove lines — whitespace FTW
    • get rid of crappy AJAX+backbone for calling new note UI into notes page, replace it with iframe+postMessage
  5. Turns out that performing a GET request on a data URI from PHP works if file_get_contents is used, not if cURL is used. I wonder what support is like for other server side languages — using data URIs in with could be the basis of some interesting .

  6. Kyle Weems: function awesomeWorkday(tasks){if (tasks instanceof coolJsonStuff || tasks instanceof coolApiStuff) { return true; } else { return false;}}

    cssquirrel even the if/else is redundant ;)

    
    function awesomeWorkday(tasks) {
      return (tasks instanceof coolJsonStuff || tasks instanceof coolApiStuff) ? true : false;
    }
    

  7. New CRUD fetcher/saver design coming on well. Decided on per-semantic-indexing, with abstract indexes and APIs so I never have to think about the SQL under the logic (which I do with ORMs like Doctrine).

    Implementing the whole lot using traits, too — mixins FTW.

  8. I’m noticing a pattern emerge whilst writing the simplified auth code: multiple event listeners which don’t know about each other working on the same object, augmenting and changing it.

    E.G. RememberMeListener looks for an encrypted cookie with a URL (my user ID of choice) in — if it finds one it makes an ActivityStream person object and puts it in request.attributes.user.

    Then, in the same event chain but at a lower priority level, the Contacts module looks in request.attributes.user for a URL. It looks up the URL in my people DB and, if there is anyone, augments request.attributes.user with all the extra info (full name, roles, photo URL, rel value, etc.)

    Then, another listener could run, looking for request.attributes.user with only URL — and look the URL up on identengine.com, caching the response.

    Other example is @-name autolinking, working on a similar basis of: basic transformation (raw data => common data format), then progressive augmentation adding URLs, names and rel values.

    I think this a very powerful and flexible pattern and something I will make a founding principle of Taproot.

  9. Finally decided that symfony Security component is way too complicated for my little , so ditching it — but I’ve learnt a lot from digging through it and my further efforts will try to provide some of the amazing flexibility it gives whilst being more performant and easier to understand #php

  10. Made some updates to my note autolinking flow — instead of lots of unstable regexes, only one runs now (courtesy of cassis) and the rest manipulate the XML–compatible HTML which results. Much more robust, much more extendable