- Clone the Smallest Federated Wiki repository and cd into it
git clone git://github.com/WardCunningham/Smallest-Federated-Wiki.git
- Remove the Gemfile
- Move the package.json file into the project root
mv server/express/package.json package.json
- Alter procfile to run the node server on the port given by heroku at the correct URL:
web: node server/express/bin/server.js -p $PORT -u http://your-app-name.herokuapp.com
- Create a new Heroku app (assuming you have the heroku toolbelt installed)
heroku create your-app-name
- Push the app to heroku
git push heroku master
Hopefully after all the Heroku package management cruft is over you’ll have a successfully launched heroku app. You might have to run
heroku scale:ps web=1 to actually get a web process running.
As I/others come across problems, document them and their solutions here. Let me know if you follow these instructions and run up against errors! waterpigs.co.uk Barnaby Walters firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Why not make a fork to do this? — I don’t really want to maintain a fork, and it’s not like making the changes is really difficult.
- Why run using node+express instead of Sinatra+Ruby? — I tried that and heroku gave me a bunch of rubygems errors I didn’t understand.