Thoughts about #microformats whilst reading Lakoff’s Women, Fire and Dangerous Things — mf vocabularies e.g. h-card, h-entry, h-event are basic-level categories, the level at which:
- it is easiest for humans to learn and reason about,
- we have the shortest, most common names for them,
- defined by how we interact with them
E.g. h-entry ≈ “post”
- short name
- extremely common on the web
- well-defined interaction patterns e.g. writing, posting, replying, reading, browsing through a feed, searching for/within, liking, reposting, quoting etc.
Rather than RDF or schema.org which seek to create pure, objectivist, hierarchies of categories — our brains simply don’t work like that.